Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Books for taking turns

We just discovered a new series of easy reader books. Bear with me if you've already heard of them because they've obviously been around a while, but they are new to me. And they are fabulous! The series is We Both Read. Check out their website or search "we both read" on your library's search engine. These books have a parent's page on the left and a child's page on the right. They come in a range of levels.

The wonderful part about these books is how well they are written! The parent's page includes rich new vocabulary words for young readers. It helps the story move along for the youngster with a short attention span (the series includes non-fiction titles for your boys non-fiction fans). The child's page uses common sight words. Some new words are introduced on the parent's page, then repeated often on the child's pages. The child's page also includes short passages with larger print. And yet (here is the tricky part), the text is still well written, matching the flow of the story.

We had so much fun with The Frog Prince last night that I absolutely had to share! It really kept my daughter motivated to continue reading even though she was tired and it was hard work. I kept saying, "We can put in a bookmark and finish tomorrow." But she dug deep and continued on. That's the sign of a good book!

I have come across other books that utilize this same concept in the past, but I find they are not usually well-written, enjoyable books to read. We will definitely be trying more books from this series. I noticed some of the books listed on the website (the "Elephant and Piggie" series and "You Read to Me, I'll Read to You") were also books I would recommend as fun for taking turns reading. Please add any additional suggestions in the comments! Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment